1/20/11

Literary piles - the books I'm thinking of reading


Sometimes I walk into a bookstore and feel a bit sad.  Because I think somewhere in here is a book I would love - not just love, but adore.  A book that would change my life.  Characters that would be sympatico or exotic.  A story that would sweep me away.  A book just for me. But I don't know which one it is.  I don't know how to find it in this sea of books.  And that always makes me sad.

The Kindle helps to change that a little because I can explore based on best seller lists and recommendations and I can download samples to discover if an intriguing premise is actually well-written or not.

Of course, at times I go on a Kindle rampage, ending up with a nightmarishly long list of samples.  It's akin to checking out ten books from the library at once that sit piled up next to your bed or spread out in various spots in the house.  You can't read them all.  Some of them you'll decide not to read or only read the first page.  It's a mess.  But a fun mess.

Here's my list of samples sitting in my Kindle at present:

The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare - I'm not usually a non-fiction sort, but after going whale-watching I'm newly intrigued and this book has gotten rave reviews.

The Romantics by Galt Niederhoffer - Why am I perpetually fascinated by novels turned into movies?  I was interested in the trailer for this film, so I thought I'd check out the book.

Navigating the Land of If by Melissa Ford - If being infertility that is.  When I get up the guts I'll crack this one open.

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch and Lee Chadeayne - A historical thriller about The Kuisls - a famous Bavarian executioner clan - sounds interesting.

Switched by Amanda Hocking - I blush.  Am I picking up YA again to read?  And supernatural YA at that?  Not sure about this one.  Only the sample will tell.

The Distant Hours: A Novel by Kate Morton - Now this one I have already read the sample and it hooked me.  Book purchased and waiting for me to read - when I get done reading all the other samples that is.

Juliet: A Novel by Anne Fortier - I have to say right now I'm feeling a bit over the "present person solving past mystery" genre that often involves notorious literary subjects such as Romeo and Juliet.  But I'm going to give the sample a try.

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell - This is the sort of book I "think" I should be reading to be a well-rounded persion.  Humph.  But it is of interest since it's about mastering something and being successful. Which I'd like to do with writing.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - The reviews are raving on this one, but it is YA.  I'm just not quite sure if it's old enough for me.  I've read the sample and I'm on the fence as to whether I should go further.

The Writing Circle by Corinne Demas - As much as this sounds "write" up my alley, I have to decline.  I read the sample and was immediately made squeamish by certain details in a sex scene.  Sorry.  I'm out of here.   I will admit this now.  I am one of those readers who just doesn't want to know everything that happens in the bedroom or any other aspect of life for that matter.  As much as some schools of writing seem to say that you should write raw and ugly and truthful about everything in life, I reject that philosophy. I prefer elegant oversight of certain things.

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James - Having loved The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by the same author, I now feel compelled to check this out.



I truly hope that somewhere in this list will be the next book to thrill my soul.  If I find it I'll share, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about "elegant oversight"! I don't think I'll be reading that book, either. Oh, and I got a Kindle for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete