11/4/10

Bittersweet endings and new beginnings


I don't know if it's a great book yet.  But I am slightly exhausted.  And I've definitely lived many lives while writing it.

I did it last night... I wanted to celebrate.  I thought I would be thrilled.  After all I've been hurtling myself towards it and breathlessly anticipating this moment.

My first draft is complete!!!

But what I felt instead was a little sad that this chapter is over.  It's been such an immersive experience - writing close to a 100K words in three short months. There's something about writing the first draft as it flows through my fingers that's been so enjoyable.  It's the initial act of creation.  Everything that comes after is a refinement.  And somehow refinement doesn't put me in the same state of bliss as creation.

But I'm glad I've made it this far and I plan on some type of celebration this weekend.  And I'm hoping to go into re-writes with a fresh, positive attitude towards that phase.

Thanks everyone for following along on my journey!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Valerie! I hope you're successful in publishing it after you give it a good spit shine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote. Congratulations on the book!

    ReplyDelete