10/11/10

This week I feel... like a vintage vixen


So I decided to play around this week.  Besides color, I haven't gotten very experimental with my manicures (and don't worry, this is likely to be as experimental as I'll get).  I've seen these how-tos on vintage 1930s style manicures and thought I'd try it.  You know, how those women in the movies often had those pointy-rounded nails in a shade of red, with the half-moons not painted?  Well, ta-da.  Here it is.  It's been called the half-moon manicure, the reverse french manicure, and a vintage manicure.

I have to say I don't understand why they ever painted their nails this way!  Frankly, it looks odd.  I haven't decided whether I like it or not. But if you think about it, the entire act of painting nails is incomprehensible anyway.

I used paper-punch hole reinforcer stickers to block off the bottom of my nail and create a stencil of sorts, then I painted the red over that, took the stickers off (that was a nightmare to do while you have wet nails) and covered with a top coat.  It was hard to position the stickers evenly on every finger - it's hardly perfect.  But it was an experiment and it was fun.  I actually think this would look prettier in a soft washed-out 1940s rose pink or coral shade.  I might try it one of these days...

Here's a few of my favorite posts about vintage manicures:
Vintage Manicure, A real one please on Forties Fashions
Half Moon Manicure on Princess Margot
How to Create a 1930s Vintage Manicure on Super Kawaii Mama

2 comments:

  1. I never did Mani's as a young Woman, but now that I'm an older Woman and my hands are aging... having pretty nails detracts from the ravages of time. *wink* So now I have an acrylic overlay on my own nails, which helps them stay strong enough to grow long... often I keep them natural color with a high gloss sheen, but I like experimenting with colors and styles. So go for it, after all, its temporary... and my old age Mantra has become: if it's not permanent I no longer sweat it. *smiles*

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow, against all odds, I really love this on you and it sort of makes me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete