3/19/10

Why I'm a kettlebell fanatic


This is not on my usual topics and I'm not a fitness blogger, but kettlebell training has made such a big difference for me, I feel like I have to share this. I'm a fanatical freak about loving kettlebells.  So it was bound to come out on my blog eventually. Here's my story...

Why I love kettlebells
  • Total body work out with a single piece of equipment.
  • It's fun and sometimes a rush.
  • It's challenging - making me stronger, mentally and physically.
  • I have muscles I never suspected were there.
  • I only have to workout three times a week - intense, yes, but only three times a week.  No wasting time on a treadmill with a magazine.
  • Simple routines with maximum efficiency - no need to work out parts of the body individually.  (Bicep curls - boring).  Most kettlebell exercises work multiple muscles and muscle groups simultaneously.
  • I don't need to do separate cardio and resistance routines. 
  • I don't like going to the gym.   I don't like time spent traveling there, paying for it, sharing cooties, feeling self-conscious -  people staring at you (or at least imagining they do). With kettlebells, my gym is anytime, anywhere (my office, bedroom, living room, back yard) and it's totally private and free.
How I got started

I have never been sporty or athletic. I have "worked out" quite a bit - walking, jogging, workout classes, etc. But not a lot of weights.

The first spark that started me down this path was an online fitness plan called Fit Yummy Mummy.  I'm not even a mom, but this sounded right up my alley - designed for busy women. The claim: workout 6 times a week, only 15 minutes each time, and see real changes in your body.  Short workouts sounded fabulous, so I tried it and it was great.  Yes, the workouts were short but they were intense. I started doing girly pushups and slowly progressed to real pushups.  I hated them.  But I was so proud of myself! And I started seeing changes.  I was opening up to the idea of pushing myself when I exercised instead of cruising in the comfort zone.

Many months later I started a new plan called KettleBelle Body.  I can't heap enough praise on this program.  It's what helped me get started consistently using kettlebells and seeing results.  I'm not a "make your own plan" kind of person.  I like someone else to hand me a plan - but I like variety, lots of variety. I get bored without it. This package had 8 months worth of workout plans that were flexible based on my goals, my level, how often I wanted to work out etc. And it included a step-by-step guide for all the exercises so I could see how they were done.  This is what really got me hooked - I used this for about a year and I'm still using it off and on while augmenting it with other plans.

Recently I've also started using DVDs from Lauren Brooks, and I'm starting to make up some of my own routines on the fly too.

If, and this is a big if, you are willing to push yourself and feel a little pain, you will be amazed at the changes in your body.  It's not as if I'm suddenly tiny or a Victoria's Secret model.  I wish.  I'm still me.  My body, my size - but I have a sense of strength, muscle definition.  I feel strong both mentally and physically - I feel a little more ferocious, athletic, after a kettlebell workout.  And this is a whole new side of myself I'm excited to discover.

I am notorious for keeping strictly to my comfort zone, so I had to find motivation to tiptoe out of it. I always wanted to look good, but that was never enough to get me to work harder. But once I found the motivation, kettlebells really rocked for me. 

So if you are interested in checking out kettlebells, I highly recommend KettleBelle Body.

And if you're not ready for kettlebells, but you want to step it up with some effective, short, quick workout programs, check out Fit Yummy Mummy.

1 comment:

  1. Kettlebells are my all time favorite way of working out. I've lost so much weight (48 pounds!) and toned up like a model

    My son, a US Army Master Fitness Instructor currently deployed to Iraq, swears by them. The best place I've found to buy quality kettlebells at really good prices, is Kettlebells USA. http://www.kettlebellsusa.com

    Amy

    ReplyDelete