12/15/09

Licking my lips



I have a stack of glossy cookbooks and a not-so-pretty notebook of clipped recipes that sit, waiting for a baking occasion. This weekend I perused them making a list of possible desserts and treats for the holidays.  Somehow I have become the designated go-to-gal when it comes to dessert at family functions. This isn't necessarily because I make the best desserts, more that I love making them at every opportunity.

At celebrations and holidays there are lots of people to help devour a towering cake so I don't go home with (too many) leftovers.  This is good. Because when I bake for just me and my husband, he has one piece and I end up eating the rest, slowly, over the course of a week.  I have learned the trick of freezing the leftovers, which helps.  But the truth is, I don't bake as often as I'd like because I don't want to risk nibbling on it all week.  I'm the type to sneak just another little "half-piece"... and then another one!

Now Christmas holidays are on their way and there's bound to be a baking occasion or two, so here's my list of candidates (lots of chocolate and caramel on the list):

  • For general snacking: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Everyday Food by Sara Foster (these are seriously good!) or Red Velvet Cupcakes
  • Caramel Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (this magazine clipped recipe has been waiting a while to get it's chance in the spotlight)
  • Dark Chocolate Souffle Cake... maybe with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream
  • Half a Baguette Bread Pudding with Caramel Pecan Sauce
  • Hot Mocha Cakes
  • Christmas Coconut Cake (from the illustrious Pastry Queen Christmas)
  • Sticky Toffee Pudding with Brandy Butterscotch Sauce
The baking starts this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Don't be surprised if you see a similar list on my blog. Between a third birthday last weekend and Christmas, I've been doing some baking.

    Also I saw your "New Things to Try" list and just wanted to say that Jeremy and I actually had macaroons from the Ladurée Champs Elysées when we were in Paris four years - and another lifetime - ago. I say this not to be like "nyeh-nyeh-nyeh-nyeh-nyeh", but more because I'm impressed that I've done something off of your "stylish" list. (On the flip side, I've only know what Anthropologie is for a year now and had no idea they have stylists.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how stylish my list is... I mean it includes a picnic and horseback riding! How were the macaroons? I think I just like the way they look and all the different flavors!

    ReplyDelete