12/23/09

Goodbye Teddy Bear Bride


When I was around 10 or 11, I was in a teddy bear and cats phase.  I proudly displayed my beautiful teddy bear bride, and eventually her dashing groom.  My first cherished diary had a white persian cat on the front cover. My walls were covered in posters of teddy bears and cats. I still think fondly of those days, my childish innocence, my strange attraction to small furry things!

But like most young girls I passed through many phases.  This classic Christmas image below is photographic evidence of my Nancy Drew obsession.

 

Have you ever known a child (maybe your own or maybe godchild or a niece or nephew) and seeing what they love, you buy them a birthday present that seems to be perfect?  You can't wait to see their reaction and then they unwrap the present and you deflate as you see them wrinkle up their nose in disgust.  Somehow in a short period of time, your gift had become passe as they moved on to their latest interest.

In children this seems normal, but what happens when you are an adult?  What happens when you change yourself? What happens when those things you used to love no longer seem to fit anymore?

What happens when you suddenly realize out of the blue that you don't love what you once did?  It comes as a shock when you don't recognize the person in the mirror anymore.

I don't know if it's just what I'm going through right now or if the experience of blogging is pushing me to this point.  But as I experiment with what I want to write about and do a heart check to see what makes it flutter, I'm discovering surprises.

Some of the things that made my world go round a few years ago don't shine as brightly now.  It's a shocking sensation.  I'm getting to know myself all over again.  Releasing old things and waiting for new to come.

It's a good time of year for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment