1/4/10

Book love: I capture the castle



I'd never heard of I Capture the Castle until I happened upon the movie, a movie I found totally enchanting.  I'm an absolute anglophile, and this movie set in a dilapidated castle in the English countryside of the 1930s had me at hello.

Of course, I had to read the book.  Luckily this turned out to be one of those where I couldn't decide whether I loved the book or the movie better.  The protagonist's voice is so witty, personal, and charming.  I'm a big fan of the fast witty dialogue and style of 1930's films like The Awful Truth or The Philadelphia Story, or heck, The Gilmore Girls.  And this novel seems to have that bite to it.  But it's also a dreamy, melancholy, and sweet first love tale. I don't want to ruin anything, I will just say the story includes an eccentric, lovable cast of characters who seem utterly real.

If you love it, chime in!  If you haven't read the book or watched the film, treat yourself...

4 comments:

  1. I have a first edition copy of it - one of my absolute favourite books of all time :)

    you might also enjoy elizabeth pym - remarkable women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sas, I'm guessing you meant Barbara Pym? I have read several of her novels and really enjoyed them. I'd like to read more. She has such a great voice. And her characters are so unique. Not always the "traditional happy ending". Although I'm a bit of a sucker for happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is one of my favorites. I have the movie dvd, too; in fact, I think it's about time to watch it again...

    ReplyDelete