5/20/11

Invoking the bubble of positivity

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true -  Lyman Frank Baum

Yesterday I read this article 7 Simple Tips to Deal with Negative People on Zen Habits.  It jumped out saying "Read me!" because I've known some people that ooze negativity, I mean we all do, don't we? But as I read it was heart-piercing. I realized recently I've become one of those negative people - on the subject of writing.  Recently I've been steeped in doubts, fears, disappointments, and anxieties and it's all been comin' out!

It stings, because the last thing in the world I want to be is a negative person.  I may not always BE positive, but it's my heart's direction, the place on the map I want to get to. But it is hard in the process of a daunting, against the odds, ego on the line, long term project to stay positive.  The dark voices in my head say "Am I crazy? Am I talentless? Should I torch this novel, Jo March style and then use the fire to make s'mores and buy fat pants?" and the voices rant on and on.

Here's the thing though, as a writer (or artist, or creative) those dark voices are poison.  To keep creating, to keep pushing through day after day, year after year, hope and faith are paramount.  To do the work, I must stay positive!

And I have a lot of work to do.  I'm slogging through a tough revision of my novel.  I've been revising my hoo-hah off over here for eight months. And I don't even know if it's worth it or improving. But I'm so stinking close to at least being done with this revision, which was my goal for June 1.  I cannot afford, to let the dark voices have me now.

So... TODAY,  I'm invoking the bubble of positivity. I picture it as a pink bubble, protecting me from negativity.  I will let nothing in, but positivity.  Anything that is not positivity I will kick out on its rear.  And to stir up the positivity pot, I'm dwelling on these words...


  • You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. -  C.S. Lewis 
  • Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. -  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.  -Toni Morrison
  • And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.  The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.  -Sylvia Plath
  • Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
  • There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. -  Douglas H. Everett
  • You cannot win if you're not at the table. You have to be where the action is. -  Ben Stein 
  • People who make no mistakes lack boldness and the spirit of adventure. They are the brakes on the wheels of progress. -  Dale E. Turner 
p.s. First time ever I'm doing a double-post on my blog in one day because I have too much to say! I had to officially invoke my bubble of positivity today.  There.  Done!

5 comments:

  1. Good post.

    When I feel the funk hovering (aka - the negative devil that sits on my shoulder), I know that it is time for a positive suck-the-marrow out of life day where I only surround myself with positive things.

    * Fresh flowers
    * French pressed coffee instead of drip
    * Movie marathon of positivity (Anne of Green Gables, Millions, Under the Tuscan Sun)
    * Emergency meeting with my girls who will always tell me how fabulous I am

    And once I have done that, I am brewing with positivity and encouragement, enough that I have plenty to share with others.

    Good luck with your positivity quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled - in spite of myself - when I saw this post title this morning. Once again, we manage to be on some sort of shared wavelength. Thanks for the encouragement. Don't downplay what you've been going through - there's some big stuff in front of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been a follower for a while now but have never left a comment. You speak of things I truly relate to today. Anytime one pushes one's comfort level self doubt and negativity seeps in, its normal. Just say hello to it, thank it (for it is a part of you) and then set it aside and push forward anyway. You can't go back now. Once in the middle of a very trying time in my life where I had to make some super tough terrifying decisions someone gave me the book "Feel the fear and do it anyway" It helped me a lot. Just thought I would mention it. Keep on keeping on, it is the only thing you can do... truly. I also want to say that I think you are very brave, good for you, it is the best way to live a life!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to the JK Rowling interview with Oprah Winfrey last night...she said that she began writing the Harry Potter novels from the lowest place and it proved to be a kind of level ground to work from...she couldn't get any lower (I can't remember her exact words...) and had to face lots of rejections and criticism... but look at her now...

    Keep on writing...I'm still dying to read a first little preview of your novel...a taster...just to wet our appetite...!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen - fabulous tips, thank you! I'm working on the coffee right this minute.
    Tricia - thanks for leaving a comment that's so encouraging! That book - Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway - sounds like it belongs on my to read list.
    And Debby - JK Rowling is the poster girl for many writers. Even if we're embarrassed to admit dreaming that big.

    ReplyDelete