Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true - Lyman Frank Baum
Yesterday I read this article 7 Simple Tips to Deal with Negative People on Zen Habits. It jumped out saying "Read me!" because I've known some people that ooze negativity, I mean we all do, don't we? But as I read it was heart-piercing. I realized recently I've become one of those negative people - on the subject of writing. Recently I've been steeped in doubts, fears, disappointments, and anxieties and it's all been comin' out!
It stings, because the last thing in the world I want to be is a negative person. I may not always BE positive, but it's my heart's direction, the place on the map I want to get to. But it is hard in the process of a daunting, against the odds, ego on the line, long term project to stay positive. The dark voices in my head say "Am I crazy? Am I talentless? Should I torch this novel, Jo March style and then use the fire to make s'mores and buy fat pants?" and the voices rant on and on.
Here's the thing though, as a writer (or artist, or creative) those dark voices are poison. To keep creating, to keep pushing through day after day, year after year, hope and faith are paramount. To do the work, I must stay positive!
And I have a lot of work to do. I'm slogging through a tough revision of my novel. I've been revising my hoo-hah off over here for eight months. And I don't even know if it's worth it or improving. But I'm so stinking close to at least being done with this revision, which was my goal for June 1. I cannot afford, to let the dark voices have me now.
So... TODAY, I'm invoking the bubble of positivity. I picture it as a pink bubble, protecting me from negativity. I will let nothing in, but positivity. Anything that is not positivity I will kick out on its rear. And to stir up the positivity pot, I'm dwelling on these words...
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. - C.S. Lewis
- Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. -Toni Morrison
- And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. -Sylvia Plath
- Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
- There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. - Douglas H. Everett
- You cannot win if you're not at the table. You have to be where the action is. - Ben Stein
- People who make no mistakes lack boldness and the spirit of adventure. They are the brakes on the wheels of progress. - Dale E. Turner
p.s. First time ever I'm doing a double-post on my blog in one day because I have too much to say! I had to officially invoke my bubble of positivity today. There. Done!